Inspecting the Aging Sailboat
Become an Expert Judge of Used Sailboats
Step by step, the author of the bestselling This Old Boat shows you how to evaluate the condition of an older fiberglass sailboat-the one you own or the one you'd like to purchase. Don Casey's expert advice helps you:
- Assess the condition of a used sailboat in 30 minutes
- Prioritize maintenance and repair tasks for a boat you already own
- Catch potential problems early
- Know where to look and what to look for (and how to interpret what you see)
A professional survey is recommended before purchasing a boat-and usually required for financing-but with Inspecting the Aging Sailboat, you can consider and reject any number of boats before settling on "the one." This book will streamline your used-boat shopping while saving you hundreds or even thousands of dollars in professional survey fees.
by Darrell Nicholson on October 19, 2016
Our hearts go out to all those suffering in the wake of Hurricane Matthew. When people are hurt and homes and precious possessions are destroyed or lost forever, a wrecked recreational sailboat seems wholly unimportant. But for many people, the boat is their home or is connected to their livelihood. In the coming days and weeks, more people will be returning to their vessels and doing what they can to keep them safe. Boat owners should be aware of steps they can take to prevent further loss to their boats. And more importantly, they should be aware of the precautions they can take to keep themselves safe during the period when most storm-related injuries and deaths occur.
Which of the following best describes your approach to bottom paint?
- I choose my own paint, but I let a professional apply (521 votes)
- I let a professional apply the paint that he (or boatyard) recommends. (329 votes)
- I choose my own paint and I apply it. (1639 votes)
- I apply paint that a local professional or boatyard recommends. (254 votes)