Inspecting the Aging Sailboat
Become an Expert Judge of Used Sailboats
Step by step, the author of the bestselling This Old Boat shows you how to evaluate the condition of an older fiberglass sailboat-the one you own or the one you'd like to purchase. Don Casey's expert advice helps you:
- Assess the condition of a used sailboat in 30 minutes
- Prioritize maintenance and repair tasks for a boat you already own
- Catch potential problems early
- Know where to look and what to look for (and how to interpret what you see)
A professional survey is recommended before purchasing a boat-and usually required for financing-but with Inspecting the Aging Sailboat, you can consider and reject any number of boats before settling on "the one." This book will streamline your used-boat shopping while saving you hundreds or even thousands of dollars in professional survey fees.
by Darrell Nicholson on February 22, 2017
At the St. Petersburg Boat Show month a while back, I had the pleasure of seeing delivery skipper and author John Kretschmers presentation on what he called sailboats for a serious ocean. I have reservations about any ideal boat list, but Kretschmer, who reviews boats for Sail Magazine and whose most recent book Sailing a Serious Ocean was one of our favorite books last winter, has the ideal background for this sort of work, and a list like this is undeniably helpful for wannabe cruisers who need a place to start their search.
Which of the following best describes your approach to bottom paint?
- I choose my own paint, but I let a professional apply (521 votes)
- I let a professional apply the paint that he (or boatyard) recommends. (329 votes)
- I choose my own paint and I apply it. (1639 votes)
- I apply paint that a local professional or boatyard recommends. (254 votes)