A Look At Sails, Part One: Sail Buying, Sail Making, & Mainsails
Purchasing new sails is a big deal for a boat owner: Materials, design, features, construction methods, etc., all need to be examined carefully.
Now, with this new series from Practical Sailor, “A Look at Sails,” we’ll help you navigate the waters of what is often a difficult decision-making process.
In Part One, “Sail Buying, Sail Making, & Mainsails,” you’ll find:
- An objective overview of today’s most popular sailmaking companies.
- Which material will give you the most bang for your buck—is Dacron still king?
- The two questions you should always ask your sailmaker.
- What to look for in clews, eyes, and battens.
- A comprehensive list of new, used, and discount sailmakers.
Also included is a review of mainsail handling systems like lazy jacks, the pros and cons of in-mast and in-boom furling, the advantages of a loose-fitting main, and the 3 critical points that any capable sail designer must address (especially since many loft floors are now overseas).
Using a poorly made sail is like driving on bald tires, so learn as much as possible about this fundamental piece of equipment before you spend another dime. Order your copy of this money-saving e-book today!
SPECIAL OFFER! BUY 3 SAIL PUBLICATIONS FOR THE PRICE OF 2! YOU GET ONE FREE!
To download your ebook purchase "Click Here" to log in.
Don't know or forgot your password? "Click Here"
September 21, 2016
In the most recent issue of Practical Sailor, we identified four anchor shackles that fell below expectations and are advising readers not to buy these shackles. Two of the shackles were stainless steel, a material we regard as unsuitable for use as an anchor shackle, and two were galvanized shackles distributed widely in the United States and abroad.
Which of the following best describes your approach to bottom paint?
- I choose my own paint, but I let a professional apply (521 votes)
- I let a professional apply the paint that he (or boatyard) recommends. (329 votes)
- I choose my own paint and I apply it. (1639 votes)
- I apply paint that a local professional or boatyard recommends. (254 votes)