Mailport: November 2012
Prop Paint Feedback
I used Pettit Barnacle Barrier with similar results (PS Mailport, September 2012). After a month, there were 1/3-inches of barnacles on the bronze prop of my boat, which is kept in warm Raritan Bay in New Jersey. I scraped them off with a spatula. However, I donít think the Barnacle Barrier was applied properly. I put on three coats, but the last coat was about three weeks before going in the water. It should have gone on about an hour or so before splashing, and it should have been washed with fresh water just before going into salt.
I believe what happened was that the zinc oxidized and became ineffective. However, after cleaning the prop while in the water, which also removed the layer of oxidized zinc, it stayed clear until August, when a few barnacles appeared here and there, and easily cleared off. By late September, it was still fairly clean as well. Next time, I'll apply it as recommended. Hope springs eternal.
Thanks for the feedback. We have several ongoing field tests of prop paints. Stay tuned for the results in an upcoming issue.
Next: Antifreeze vs. Rubber