PS offers tips on choosing boatyards and professionals who wont let you down.
The lure of sailing is a magnet that draws us toward boat ownership, but annual maintenance, and costly refits are a less-welcome fait accompli. Self-sufficiency will always be our emphasis, but we have also noticed that fewer recreational sailors have the time, training, or the inclination to tackle the big jobs. A common thread among this growing group of do-it-for-me sailors is the desire to become a smarter consumer of the services offered by a very diverse marine industry. Here, we offer an insiders guide on choosing the right boatyard and quality contractors.
More Boat Maintenance
Subscribers Only —
A few years back, we profiled a number of excellent local boatyards (PS,
- When we last tested clear-vinyl window protectants, we raised the concern that some products might actually damage...
- Weve had good experiences with Walker Bay products, so we expected a lot from the companys inflatable...
I have often referred to (former PS Editor) Dan Spurrs book,
- Coast Survey also has launched a new product, free PDF nautical charts, on a trial basis and is seeking mariner...
While repairing a 50-gallon water tank on my 1995 Mason, I broke the Hart Systems Tank Tender penetration tube....
- Your tape test (PS, October 2013) did not include 3M 256, but I thought Id pass on a lesson learned...
- The place PS call home is an office building and workshop in Sarasota, Fla., where weve been based since 2005....
- Subscribers Only — As we've learned from past test, there's no chemistry in a bottle that is going to keep mildew at bay like desiccants...
- Subscribers Only — Its been 12 months since testers mounted the 12 nonskid test panels on the roof, subjecting them to south...
What major system on your boat is in most need of upgrade?
- a. propulsion (engine, prop, etc.) (155 votes)
- b. sails, rig (327 votes)
- c. electronics (215 votes)
- d. plumbing (78 votes)
- e. refrigeration (104 votes)
- f. electrical system (150 votes)
- g. HVAC (heating/ AC) (65 votes)