Icom vs. Vesper: Which AIS-B transponder is best for cruisers?
The popularity of Automatic Identification Systems (AIS) has grown exponentially in recent years. Lower costs have played a big hand in this; however, the primary driver remains boat owners looking to increase safety. Our latest evaluation compared Class B transceivers from two key players in the AIS market. From Icom, we tested the MA-500TR. New Zealand-based Vesper Marine submitted its WatchMate 850 for testing. We rated the products on AIS functions, control capabilities, user-interface, filtering capability, display quality, and screen visibility.
- Like winning lottery tickets and accurate head shots during the zombie apocalypse, visual distress signals are one of...
- Subscribers Only — Testers evaluated handheld VHF radios from three leading marine electronics makers. From Icom, we tested the M92D and...
- In the course of writing five books about accidents and survival at sea, Michael Tougias interviewed many survivors...
- Subscribers Only — There are numerous portable marine electronics that can keep you connected while you get away from it all. But which...
- If its been more than five or six years since your life raft was inspected, theres a good chance that it...
- The radio crackles with an emergency dispatch: A sailboat is sinking 50 miles east of Cape Hatteras. Theres no...
- This is the second article in a Practical Sailor series that takes a close look at US Sailings recent reports...
- Subscribers Only — In 2010, West Marine voluntarily recalled two tether models (SKU #9553512 and #9553504), the same model tethers worn...
- Subscribers Only — The US Sailing report makes several specific recommendations to prevent future accidents such as the one that...
What major system on your boat is in most need of upgrade?
- a. propulsion (engine, prop, etc.) (155 votes)
- b. sails, rig (327 votes)
- c. electronics (215 votes)
- d. plumbing (78 votes)
- e. refrigeration (104 votes)
- f. electrical system (150 votes)
- g. HVAC (heating/ AC) (65 votes)