Sailors benefit from rising interest in telemedicine services.
Telemedicine, the ability to remotely treat patients in far-flung corners of the world, was still in its infancy in 1998 when it was put to a highly publicized test aboard a storm-tossed sailboat in the Southern Ocean. Russian competitive sailor Viktor Yazykov was participating in the solo Around Alone Race. His boat was about 900 miles below the tip of South Africa when his rig began falling apart. While Yazykov was repairing a broken shroud, an elbow he had injured earlier in the race grew inflamed with infection.
- If your cruising plans include bluewater voyaging or sailing to the far-reaches of the world, then packing a...
- Subscribers Only — The popularity of Automatic Identification Systems (AIS) has grown exponentially in recent years. Lower costs have...
- Like winning lottery tickets and accurate head shots during the zombie apocalypse, visual distress signals are one of...
- Subscribers Only — Testers evaluated handheld VHF radios from three leading marine electronics makers. From Icom, we tested the M92D and...
Which of the following best describes your approach to bottom paint?
- I choose my own paint, but I let a professional apply (521 votes)
- I let a professional apply the paint that he (or boatyard) recommends. (329 votes)
- I choose my own paint and I apply it. (1639 votes)
- I apply paint that a local professional or boatyard recommends. (254 votes)