Sea trials find new nav app does a good job at quilting the raster charts.
Nobeltec, a marine-navigation software developer based in the U.S., recently released a new chartplotting app for the iPad: Nobeltec TZ. We took it for a weeklong test cruise and found it to be a good basic nav program with some significant strengths, and some notable shortcomings.
More Marine Electronics
- Testers recently checked out the Spare One standby cell phone, which is just what its name implies: a spare phone for...
- Subscribers Only — The popularity of Automatic Identification Systems (AIS) has grown exponentially in recent years. Lower costs have...
- A sailboat is no place for unnecessary complexity, which was the direction PS contributor Dan Corcoran was headed on...
- Subscribers Only — As a followup to our April 2012 report on useful iPad apps for sailors, we recently sea-trialed the new Weather4D...
- During our recent test of man-overboard electronics (PS, May 2013)alarms, beacons, and self-rescue...
- Subscribers Only — Two years ago, I purchased a Water Witch bilge pump switch. When it developed a glitch, I called Kathleen at Water...
What major system on your boat is in most need of upgrade?
- a. propulsion (engine, prop, etc.) (155 votes)
- b. sails, rig (327 votes)
- c. electronics (215 votes)
- d. plumbing (78 votes)
- e. refrigeration (104 votes)
- f. electrical system (150 votes)
- g. HVAC (heating/ AC) (65 votes)