Safety & Seamanship
Icom vs. Vesper: Which AIS-B transponder is best for cruisers?
The popularity of Automatic Identification Systems (AIS) has grown exponentially in recent years. Lower costs have played a big hand in this; however, the primary driver remains boat owners looking to increase safety. Our latest evaluation compared Class B transceivers from two key players in the AIS market. From Icom, we tested the MA-500TR. New Zealand-based Vesper Marine submitted its WatchMate 850 for testing. We rated the products on AIS functions, control capabilities, user-interface, filtering capability, display quality, and screen visibility.
More Safety & Seamanship
- Like winning lottery tickets and accurate head shots during the zombie apocalypse, visual distress signals are one of...
- Here is a question that has puzzled me for a long time. Many financial institutions offer financing on...
- During our recent test of man-overboard electronics (PS, May 2013)alarms, beacons, and self-rescue...
What major system on your boat is in most need of upgrade?
- a. propulsion (engine, prop, etc.) (155 votes)
- b. sails, rig (327 votes)
- c. electronics (215 votes)
- d. plumbing (78 votes)
- e. refrigeration (104 votes)
- f. electrical system (150 votes)
- g. HVAC (heating/ AC) (65 votes)