Sails, Rigging & Deck Gear
Anchor chain-snubber connector holds in a blow.
Practical Sailor recently looked at various ways to take the load off the windlass and roller by means of a short rope snubber or bridle, but we did not talk about how to attach a snubber to the chain. The Mantus Chain Hook takes an innovative approach, and seemed particularly useful for catamaran owners with long bridles. Testers put the 1/4-inch stainless Mantus hook through more than 50 anchoring cycles and dozens of tide cycles aboard a PDQ 32. Find out how the Mantus fared.
More Sails, Rigging & Deck Gear
- The LM32 construction is conventional but well done, and the boat lives up to its reputation for high-quality and...
- Subscribers Only — In the past, a snubber was simply a device incorporated into the anchor rode to take the load off the windlass. We...
- While everyone likes fun in the sun, theres nothing better than having it made in the shadewhich is a...
- Subscribers Only — For decades, adjusting the genoa sheet leads from the cockpit was a luxury ascribed to racing sailboats. But...
- Subscribers Only — The anchors a sailor chooses to carry onboard are often a compromise between weight and necessity. Since different...
- Here is a question that has puzzled me for a long time. Many financial institutions offer financing on...
- A photographer friend stumbled upon this photo of my wife, Theresa, from our cruising days. It was taken in Fiji...
- Subscribers Only — Sailors often have a love-hate relationship with spreader lights. They can turn a dark deck into broad daylight,...
- A few weeks ago, I found myself in the desert at night and reflected upon how much the wide expanses of sand and rock...
What major system on your boat is in most need of upgrade?
- a. propulsion (engine, prop, etc.) (155 votes)
- b. sails, rig (327 votes)
- c. electronics (215 votes)
- d. plumbing (78 votes)
- e. refrigeration (104 votes)
- f. electrical system (150 votes)
- g. HVAC (heating/ AC) (65 votes)