Tools & Gadgets
New Streamlight and West Marine spotlights take on past top picks.
A marine spotlight, as opposed to a floodlight or flashlight, must sufficiently illuminate an object at a considerable distance. Clearly seeing navigation aids, floating debris, breaking surf, or a man overboard requires a dependable device with a bright beam of light, one that can be kept at the ready. The best marine spotlights combine improved LED technology with sufficient power, a quality reflector lens, single-hand ergonomics, quick recharging times, and a rugged durability that includes withstanding submersion. We evaluated seven LED spotlights, including the new Streamlight Waypoint Rechargeable and three new West Marine lights.
More Tools & Gadgets
- Subscribers Only — Two years ago, I purchased a Water Witch bilge pump switch. When it developed a glitch, I called Kathleen at Water...
- A few weeks ago, I found myself in the desert at night and reflected upon how much the wide expanses of sand and rock...
- Summers warm breezes and lazy weekends have arrived, so PS testers have put together a lineup of cool toys and...
- Subscribers Only — With numerous types of spotlights flooding the market, Practical Sailor testers narrowed the test field to seven LED...
- Testers evaluated a number of spotlight features. Although some points such as ergonomics involved a small degree of...
What major system on your boat is in most need of upgrade?
- a. propulsion (engine, prop, etc.) (155 votes)
- b. sails, rig (327 votes)
- c. electronics (215 votes)
- d. plumbing (78 votes)
- e. refrigeration (104 votes)
- f. electrical system (150 votes)
- g. HVAC (heating/ AC) (65 votes)