General-purpose, relatively inexpensive hose clamps are all over most boats, but there are some applications where using a higher quality, corrosion resistant clamp is criticalsuch as engine hoses and through-hulls. Most quality clamps are stamped stainless steel, but there are many grades of steel, and making an alloy stainless and corrosion resistant is complicated and costly. You start with iron, which rusts easily, and through multiple processes, you add proportions of elements such as nickel, manganese, molybdenum, and chromium. Different percentages of these elements will improve the desired strength, hardness, and flexibility, as well as corrosion resistance, of the steel.
- Subscribers Only — Through lab tests and years of field testing, weve found that silica-gel vent filters reduce tank corrosion and...
- Subscribers Only — The Coast Guard and the American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) have worked together to develop general installation...
- Subscribers Only — Dont look to tank vent filters and fuel additives to solve real fuel-system problems. They are only ancillaries...
- Subscribers Only — The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the American Yacht and Boat Council (AYBC) are requiring devices that...
Which of the following best describes your approach to bottom paint?
- I choose my own paint, but I let a professional apply (521 votes)
- I let a professional apply the paint that he (or boatyard) recommends. (329 votes)
- I choose my own paint and I apply it. (1639 votes)
- I apply paint that a local professional or boatyard recommends. (254 votes)