Inspecting the Aging Sailboat
Become an Expert Judge of Used Sailboats
Step by step, the author of the bestselling This Old Boat shows you how to evaluate the condition of an older fiberglass sailboat-the one you own or the one you'd like to purchase. Don Casey's expert advice helps you:
- Assess the condition of a used sailboat in 30 minutes
- Prioritize maintenance and repair tasks for a boat you already own
- Catch potential problems early
- Know where to look and what to look for (and how to interpret what you see)
A professional survey is recommended before purchasing a boat-and usually required for financing-but with Inspecting the Aging Sailboat, you can consider and reject any number of boats before settling on "the one." This book will streamline your used-boat shopping while saving you hundreds or even thousands of dollars in professional survey fees.
by Darrell Nicholson on October 10, 2017
Weve had a lot of fun with toilets and sanitation systems in the last couple of years, and after last weekend, when I descended into the smelliest brokerage boat Id ever set foot on, I thought Id revisit some of our findings here.The good news is that a stinky head is curable. The better news is that it need not cost you an arm and a leg. Thats not to say a cure is cheapthis is a cruising boat were talking aboutbut in many cases, a change in maintenance habits and less than $20 can put you on the path to deep breathing again.
Which of the following best describes your approach to bottom paint?
- I choose my own paint, but I let a professional apply (521 votes)
- I let a professional apply the paint that he (or boatyard) recommends. (329 votes)
- I choose my own paint and I apply it. (1639 votes)
- I apply paint that a local professional or boatyard recommends. (254 votes)