We described a simple homebuilt version several years ago (Practical Sailor, December 2011); here we present a few simple upgrades on the same basic design, allowing for simpler deployment, better fender retention, and more stable positioning. Pressure treated lumber provides inexpensive durability.
- The Penny-Pinching PhD Sailor
- What You Have Now is Probably Enough
- No-Rust Bags? A Bit of a Bust.
- Reviving Fuel Filter Beads — Again and Again
- A Riveting Report: Spar Fasteners
Which of the following best describes your approach to bottom paint?
- I choose my own paint, but I let a professional apply (521 votes)
- I let a professional apply the paint that he (or boatyard) recommends. (329 votes)
- I choose my own paint and I apply it. (1639 votes)
- I apply paint that a local professional or boatyard recommends. (254 votes)